Thursday, May 1, 2008

Reflecting on St. John's University's Vincentian Mission on Vincentian Thursday


As I went about my day off from school I reflected the concept we are honoring, and the ways we embody the Vincentian spirit and fulfill St. John University's mission statement. A mission statement distinguishes the objectives and values of a particular institution or individual. Being that no two people or organizations are the same, a mission statement allows for their different intentions and qualities to be highlighted.

St. John’s mission statement reads, “St. John's University is Catholic, Vincentian, and Metropolitan.” This mission statement portrays a culturally rooted university founded on Catholic values that follow the life and work of St Vincent De Paul.The values stated in the mission statement of St. John's University is comparable to my own mission statement.

My mission is to learn about myself and my environment while making an impact on my community. I plan to achieve this through community service and my intended field of study, speech pathology. Through community service I can learn about the lives of people I would not interact with on a regular basis. It can also bring to light the social differences we face and help me learn about myself. I anticipate that speech pathology will be fulfilling because verbal communication is very important to me, and to be able to share this with others that are impaired would bring me great satisfaction. My mission statement compares to that of St. John’s in the Vincentian aspect because I have a great desire to aid the less fortunate. This reflects the life and work of St. Vincent de Paul, a man who dedicated his life to alleviating the hardships faced by the poor.

No comments: